Wednesday, July 06, 2005

Vacation interrupted

I am on vacation this week. I planned on relaxing and finishing some little projects around the house, hanging out with my boys, maybe catching a round of golf with my dad.
What I have discovered is an irresistible urge to blog. I am reading a lot of news and finding it hard not to pass along my thoughts to you, my loyal readers.
The battle over the U.S. Supreme Court appointment is just beginning, but already there is conflict within the GOP.
Republicans can't seem to agree on who will be conservative enough, and according to a New York Times report online today, there is a movement afoot to calm conservatives and keep them focused on the language they use when talking about possible candidates.
According to the report, Republican leaders are faced with the daunting task of rallying social conservatives behind a nominee who must be characterized as moderate to win Senate confirmation.
Perhaps the most disturbing aspect of the report is the apparent reluctance from several Christian conservatives to support the nomination of Attorney General Alberto Gonzales.
They claim it is because of his positions on abortion and affirmative action.
My concern is the Christian right is against supporting a minority. If Pres. Bush supported Gonzales enough to appoint him as A.G., he must be relatively conservative, certainly more so than moderate.
Obviously, a Hispanic is going to have more liberal views on affirmative action than white Christian conservatives.
A column in The Dallas Morning News today has good summary of the discord a Gonzales nomination would create.

No comments: