Saturday, July 09, 2005

Television changed my life

Well, not exactly. But I finally caught an episode of "30 Days" on FX, the show by the Morgan Spurlock guy that did "Supersize Me."
The episode, "Straight man in a gay world," spurred some really interesting conversation among the adults in the Shrips household -- read as, my wife and me.
Being a life-long, God-fearing Christian from the Midwest herself, my wife has struggled with the whole debate about homosexuality as a chosen lifestyle versus an inborn trait.
Myself, I guess I'm what some conservatives would call a liberal puke, although I don't think it's that clear. I have learned the Bible says homosexuality is a sin, but the Bible also teaches us to love our neighbors.
So I guess here's where it all makes sense to me: If homosexuality is a sin, then it is no greater sin than any other in God's eyes. It is not my place to judge other's behavior. That responsibility is reserved by God alone, for God alone.
I respect the decisions, lifestyles, habits and behaviors of other people as just those; their decisions. They are people, regardless of their sexual orientation, and they deserve the same treatment as everyone else.
They are the not scourge of the earth. They are not diseased, demented people. They are my people, and they are no different than you and me.

No comments: