Tuesday, March 01, 2005

A mother's love...

Several days ago, I blogged about the Social Security tug-of-war on the Hill.
I got a comment from my mother, who makes a good point:
"I think people got in trouble when they started depending on the government to support them in retirement. I say you've got to cover your own butt, either with investments or savings."
My mother is a truly wise person, but I have a problem with her logic. If we are indeed to take care of our own financial security in retirement, then so be it. As it stands, I have been paying toward my own Social Security benefits since I began working. When I retire, I should get that money back at the same rate I "invested" in the federal government's retirement plan.
I certainly subscribe to the notion of self-sufficiency; not all of us are as successful at it as others, but there is a level of expectation our own government has instilled in Americans.
If I am not going to get a full return on my Social Security investment after I retire, then return every dime I've been taxed for that purpose and I will invest it myself.
If the federal government is unwilling to return my money to me so I can invest it, then I want 100 percent of the Social Security benefits toward which I have been paying taxes.
We all know Pres. Bush isn't going to mail a check to me anytime soon with an apology to me and millions of Americans my age because the federal government spends Social Security money elsewhere, hence the "Social Security crisis."

No comments: