Sunday, February 13, 2005

People will never learn

I am a hockey ref. I'd like to consider myself decent; not the best but better than average. I love the game and the kids. They are the reason I do what I do.
However, I worked two games in Kalamazoo today and the visiting teams were from Toledo and Sylvania. Both games were blowouts with the Kalamazoo teams winning by large margins.
During and after both games, the visiting parents and coaches were absolutely obnoxious and didn't hesitate to blame my partner and I for their poor performances.
Why don't people try to officiate a few games? If it's so easy and everyone thinks they have to be better than me, why are they in the stands?
And it wasn't even a matter of the officiating being a factor in the outcome of the games. They were just out-played. Why aren't the players and coaches expected to take responsibility for their behavior and choices? I'm not the one who missed the net with almost every shot, punched the guy in the head or hit an opponent in the face with his stick. Why is it my fault?
And what do these adults think they are teaching their kids? Who will they blame when the kids come home with a bad report card, don't get that job they wanted or get in their first car accident? It seems to me these kids are not learning to take responsibility for themselves and will forever blame others for the consequences of their own decisions.
I just don't get it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Shrips,
It had to have been a long bus ride back to Toledo knowing we lost the game for them!

Why don't they come out and try a few games and see how good their ten year old daughter would do!

Nice article!

GEBS