Thursday, February 10, 2005

It's a sad week

My grandpa died yesterday. He was 89, but for some reason I could never remember that. I have always been two years short.
Anyway, he has been "rescued." That's how my 4-year-old son thinks of it. A child's mind is a thing of wonder.
Tomorrow night is the funeral service; closed-casket because he didn't like the thought of people looking at him after he died.
I have a lot of great memories of my grandpa. Every time my brother and I would go to his house, we'd knock on the door and he would say the same thing:
"Nobody here but us chickens, Boss."
He could make anything with his hands, and he used to turn down his hearing aids so he couldn't hear Grandma chirping at him.
I love him.
I am worried the most, though, about my mom. She has lost her parents and her husband, all in the last five years.
She's strong, intelligent, independent, classy and a simple kind of beautiful only God could create.
I still worry about her.

2 comments:

Christine said...

Glad to see your blogging, but again, so sorry to hear about your grandpa. It's never an easy thing to lose someone you love.

See you at the jump. I'm trying to become a big fat guy by tommorrow.

Anonymous said...

I'm really sorry about your Grandpa, too. He always has and always will have a very special place in my heart.