Monday, February 13, 2006

A little scary

I just got this Web site in an e-mail from my dad. The Family Watchdog has compiled the National Sex Offender Registry into a map. Simply enter your address and the site will generate a map showing the locations of all the registered sex offenders near your home. Click on one of the colored boxes, and a window pops up giving all the information about the offender; name, address, age, height, weight and offense.
I guess I am a little torn about this kind of stuff. As a parent, I think I want to know where these people are and what kind of contact they may have with my kids.
At the same time, it seems a little invasive. How many of these people just made a mistake? I'm sure there are some who are ill and still pose a threat to society, but I would venture a guess that many of them simply made a poor choice and aren't prone to be repeat offenders.
With Web sites like this, the folks who are not a danger are lumped in with the sickos and branded as the like.
I guess I like the knowledge presented by the site, but I am a little worried that we, as a society, are becoming too scared.
People like these have existed for a few thousand years, I would assume, but how many people who visit this site are going to be even MORE paranoid than they already were? Is it possible we're feeding a fear that leads us down an individually isolationist path? Are we going to start doing background checks on everyone to make sure our children are with people of only the highest character and morals?
Like I said, I'm torn.

No comments: