Saturday, September 03, 2005

Shame

I have been reminded that my ancestors were French.
Indeed they were, and while establishing a city between a large lake and the Gulf of Mexico, such as New Orleans, may not have been one of their finest ideas, I do owe the French more credit than given in the previous post.
In honor of my heritage, allow me to list some of the greater French accomplishments through history:
- One of the first modern bicameral legislative branches of government.
- Strong support of colonial America against the British in the American Revolution.
- The Statue of Liberty.
- Paris, a modern cultural icon for much of the Western world.
- And of course, French fries. (O.K. We all know that's not really true, but it's fun, isn't it?)
I hope I have not offended anyone with French heritage. It may not hurt to point out it is Americans who are to blame for building large metropolitan centers on both coasts, in the Mississippi flood plane, and on one of the largest faults in the world.

No comments: